Why go smoke-free?
There are lots of good reasons to stub out smoking on your premises...
- It's not just a smoker's health that is effected by tobacco - Second-hand Smoke (SHS) can damage the health of non-smokers too... in short, smoking effects all of your employees and customers without exception
- Improving the environment for your customers - does your business serve food or drinks? You could boost sales by providing local residents with the option of a smoke-free lunch or night out! Many establishments have found that custom has increased once they implement a smoke-free policy
- If you're an employer, just think of the increased productivity you'll benefit from... Apart from additional sick leave that smoking causes, a possible daily pattern of nine cigarette breaks lasting 10 minutes each equates to one working day per week lost!
- Going smoke-free will also save your business money on cleaning and maintanence costs. Smoke-free environments are much cleaner and easier to maintain - you won't have to re-decorate or replace furniture as often either!
- It's easy to implement! Smoke-free policies are more cost effective, both to implement and maintain than smoking policies or partial policies
- Separate smoking areas and ventilation systems don't decrease the risk of exposure to the cancer-causing particles and gases that make up SHS - smoke drifts and these particles settle on clothes and furniture, even after the visible smoke has gone, so the risk of illness to smokers and non-smokers alike is still high. The only way to eliminate the risks associated with SHS is a completely smoke-free environment
What is Smoke-free Haringey?
Smoke-free Haringey is a joint initiative between Haringey Teaching Primary Care Trust and Haringey Council. Smoke-free Haringey are working locally to improve the environment for all our borough's residents, employers, workers and visitors. We do this by
- Promoting the business benefits of a smoke-free environment
- Helping local businesses draft and implement smoke-free policies
- Congratulating businesses that go smoke-free with a Smoke-free Haringey Award
- Helping local employers support staff that want to stop smoking
- Providing an online smoke-free 'directory' and feedback facility for the public
- Providing potential customers with information on premises that are smoke-free through links from both the Haringey TPCT and Haringey Council websites
What are the Smoke-free Haringey Awards?
The Smoke-free Haringey Awards are given to local businesses that are completely smoke-free. It's that simple! As long as you don't allow any smoking inside of your premises, you are eligible for an award.
In addition to presenting your business with an award, we'll also add it to our directory of smoke-free places in Haringey!